Sustainability Policy for Sustainable Kirriemuir
What does sustainability mean to us?
Sustainable Kirriemuir understands the connection between climate change and other environmental crises, and the threat of current and future homelessness, disease, food and water shortages and poverty for millions of people around the world. This sits alongside the major damage being caused to our natural eco-systems, which support us and all life on earth.
We know environmental issues have social consequences, so we will always consider the short, medium and long-term impact of our activities on the local community and the environment. We will look to support social sustainability by encouraging projects and events that promote the health and wellbeing of our community. We will make every effort to understand the needs of individuals and groups within our community, and where possible we will work with those responsible for the delivery of those needs to help our people and places thrive and evolve.
The reduction of Kirriemuir’s carbon and environmental footprints, along with our commitment to social sustainability form our core objective. As such, we strive towards ensuring that the outcomes of any of our projects or events, or those that we support are in line with our commitment to both environmental and social sustainability. Further, we would hope to see these principles embraced by any partners we might have.
How will we achieve this?
- minimise the use of energy, water and other resources.
- strive to be organic and use minimal tilling in our growing activities.
- minimise waste by reduction, re-use and recycling.
- minimise consumption by seeking to buy second-hand as a first option.
- use methods of active travel or public transport when carrying out SK activities where practical.
- support a strong local economy by seeking to purchase any items deemed necessary to further our aims locally.
- prioritise health and wellbeing of our local community of people, our wildlife and habitats in all of our activities.
- encourage all partners to work towards the same sustainability criteria.